Monday, March 21, 2011

I know...It's been forever!


I realize I haven't blogged in forever! I've been thinking about it a lot lately. I really need to be blogging. Even if it's just for me to look back on. So much has happened in our lives since the last time I blogged (last August). It's been so long and so many event I don't even know where to start. I guess instead of trying to "catch up" I should just start fresh :)

So I finally had my knee replacement surgery on March 8th. I had to fast starting at midnight on the 7th. Of course, I ate dinner at about 9:30 and had nothing after that. Big mistake! I didn't go in the next day for surgery until 3:15. My actual surgery time was supposed to be at 5 pm. Being as lucky as I am, they didn't actually take me back until 7:30! It was the longest day of my life!! I was starving by the time they took me in. For this type of surgery, they give you a femoral nerve block and an epidural. They are supposed to give some sort of sedative so that you don't remember the actual surgery. Ashlyn and I thought it would be fun to actually watch a full knee replacement surgery on line before the surgery. That also was a mistake!! I guess I ended up freaking out during the surgery when I heard the bone saw, so they ended up giving me complete general anesthesia. The surgery ended around 9:30 and I was finally taken to my room on the 4th floor at 10:30 p.m. Of course that first night I got no sleep at all.....too many machines hooked up to my legs, arms and fingers. The blood pressure cuff going every 30 minutes, drain tubes, iv's, cpm machine, oxygen, catheter.....the list goes on and on. My physical therapist got me up at 8 am to start walking. Doesn't this seem crazy!? I can't believe you walk so soon. Anyway, the best part of waking up at 8 am is that well, when they do the surgery, they untie your gown. So ya, my male physical therapist gets me up and gets a horrible view of my back side!! He even got to to tie my gown back up. My mom wasn't at the hospital yet that morning because she was busy driving my carpool for me. Remember how I mentioned they ended up giving me general anesthesia? Well ya, I was sick the entire day. So not only am I stuck back in my bed with machines, I'm throwing up on top of it. There were so many crazy things that happened at the hospital during my stay.... During my stay, they require you to walk with your walker and golden purse (catheter and bag) to the dinning room for some of your therapy. Then after your meals you have to go to physical therapy. I have never felt so old in my life! Besides walking with the walker, I got so tired so easily. Could have been from all the drugs I was getting, but whatever it was I was exhausted by 6 pm! I finally was able to go home on Friday the 11th with my walker. As soon as I got home, Intermountain Home Health Care dropped off my cpm machine for me to start using. This is a machine that moves your knee for you. I have therapy 3x a day and then have to be in the leg machine for a total of 6 hours a day. My recovery is basically a full time job. So right now, I have home health care that comes in 3 x a week to help with my therapy, change my bandages, and do my blood work. I'm on blood thinners, so I can't eat dark leafy vegetables, broccoli, salad, salad dressing, mayo and many other things. This is rather difficult being vegetarian! But I'm happy to say tonight is actually my last dose of Warfarin! Yay!! The therapy is going ok other than I have noodle leg. I had the pain pump for the femoral nerve block for almost a week. So ya, my leg is still numb! I was finally able to graduate to crutches this past weekend. So happy!! I hate the walker!! Tomorrow I get to have my 24 staples removed and I couldn't be happier. I'm hoping the doctor will finally release me to drive. I hardly take my loratabs because they make me so sick. I'd rather have the pain than be sick! I'm pretty sure I've already written a book and I left out sooo many details. Anyway....I think I get to go back to work next Monday. I've been working from home at night, but it is definitely hard to get my hours in and I need the moola!! I've added a picture of my wonderful incision and staples. I think I need a lifetime supply of scar cream!!!

I have to thank my mom who stayed at my house for 2 weeks to take care of Ashlyn and me. I really couldn't have done it without her! This week is a little harder having her gone, but she is coming down tomorrow to take me to the doctor and to help with some housework and meals.

2 comments:

Kristin said...

So glad you decided to update your blog. I had no idea you had surgery until Mary Ellen told me after you were already back home, I feel so out of the loop sometimes ;-). Full knee replacement surgery? ouch! I would be so darned stir crazy at home by know and Im sure you are too, you know the picture I want to see is the one with you using a walker! Thats one that should be documented!

Farah said...

You are right Kristin! Ashlyn thought it was hilarious so she did take a picture of me with the walker at the hospital! I will have her forward it to me so I can post it!